- Connect a terminal or PC with terminal emulation to the console port of the router and ensure you have the correct terminal settings. They include no flow control, 1 stop bit, 8 data bits, no parity and 9600 baud rate.
- If you are able to access the router, enter in show version at the prompt screen, and document the configuration register setting.
- Next, turn off the router and wait about 5 seconds and turn it back on.
- Press break on the terminal keyboard within 1 minute of power up in order to the router into ROMmon.
- Enter in confreg 0x2142 at the rommon 1> prompot in order to boot the from Flash.
- Type reset at the rommon 2> prompt.
- Type no after each setup question or press Ctrl+C to bypass all questions.
- Type enable at the Router> prompt
- Type configure memory or copy startup-config running-config in order to copy NVRAM into memory.
- Type show running-config
- Type configure terminal
- Type enable secret <enter in a password that you will remember> in order to change the enable secret password.
- Issue the no shutdown command on every single interface that you use.
- Type config-register
. This typically is 0x2102.
- Press Ctrl-z or end to leave config mode.
- Type write memory or copy running-config startup-config to commit the modifications
- Shut the router down.
- Remove the compact flash from the back of the router.
- Turn the router back on.
- When you see the Rommon1> prompt, enter the command of confreg 0x2142
- Insert the compact flash.
- Type reset.
- When prompted to enter the initial configuration, type no and press enter.
- At the router> prompt, type enable
- At the Router# prompt, enter the configure memory command, and press Enter in order to copy the startup configuration to the running configuration.
- Use the config t command in order to enter global configuration mode.
- Use this command in order to create a new user name and password:
router(config) #username cisco privilege 15 password
- Use this command in order to change the boot statement:
- Use this command in order to save the configuration:
- Reload the router, and then use your new user name and password to log in to the router.