- Connect a terminal or PC with terminal emulation to the console port of the router and ensure you have the correct terminal settings. They include no flow control, 1 stop bit, 8 data bits, no parity and 9600 baud rate.
- If you are able to access the router, enter in show version at the prompt screen, and document the configuration register setting.
- Next, turn off the router and wait about 5 seconds and turn it back on.
- Press break on the terminal keyboard within 1 minute of power up in order to the router into ROMmon.
- Enter in confreg 0x2142 at the rommon 1> prompt in order to boot the from Flash.
- Type reset at the rommon 2> prompt.
- Type no after each setup question or press Ctrl+C to bypass all questions.
- Type enable at the Router> prompt
- Type configure memory or copy startup-config running-config in order to copy NVRAM into memory.
- Type show running-config
- Type configure terminal
- Type enable secret <enter in a password that you will remember> in order to change the enable secret password.
- Issue the no shutdown command on every single interface that you use.
- Type config-register
. This typically is 0x2102.
- Press Ctrl-z or end to leave config mode.
- Type write memory or copy running-config startup-config to commit the modifications